Did you know there are students from 70 countries around the world that attend South High School? Approximately 400 students have English as a second language.
- Reading Program
- Friday’s from 12:00-1:05pm
- Potential for working with higher level ELA (English Language Acquisition) students on Wednesday mornings…..still in the works
The Newcomers class has between 25-30 students from 14 different countries. The students have lived in the United States for under a year. All the students are learning English and have various levels of understanding/speaking. Volunteers typically meet with a small group of students (4-5) and read together. The students typically read a non-fiction book around a 1st grade level. Volunteers help the students with pronunciation and comprehension. After reading the book together volunteers will help the students complete a worksheet about the book. Volunteers are welcome to join when they can.
- Looking for a female Careers Plus Mentor! Must complete mentor application/background check. Mentors work with seniors on a variety of college prep activities. Goodwill staff will facilitate the activity each week. Mentors will work with the same group of 3-4 students each week. This group of students is comprised of 4 females. One of the students moved to the U.S. from Iraq in 2nd grade.
- Potential to work with refugee/immigrant students on college scholarship essays. Thursday’s from 2:30-3:30pm.
- Potential to work with refugee/immigrant students on reading comprehension. If interested in a Saturday 10-Noon, please let me know.
- Looking to raise money for Summer Newcomers Program 2017. Each student will receive a monthly bus pass to attend the program for 8 weeks. Hoping to raise $2500 for 25 students to receive bus passes.
Did you know there are students from over 40 different countries around the world represented in the student body at Place Bridge? Place Bridge has 1,000 students from K-8th grade. Goodwill teaches a “Bridges to High School” class for 8th graders.
- Volunteer to judge the “Shark Tank/Entrepreneur Presentations”
- Wednesday, February 22nd